Saturday, November 7, 2009

Deck the halls ...



While going through my emails, getting caught up with what's been happening with my fellow SU Demos, someone had these cute little ornaments posted on their blog.  They had a link to another site with instructions on how to make them (I am very sorry but I can't find either page now- if you know, please let me know so I can update my blog with their information!)  The idea, stuck with me and I just had to give it a try.

This neat little paper pine cone ornaments was made with a scrap of last year's Designer Series paper cut into 2"x1" strips that are folded into triangles (outer points folded down into the center then flipped over, point down) and pinned into a styrofoam ball.


Start at the bottom with 4 triangles then work your way up (I used 5 after the first 4 triangle which made a pretty pattern alternating the 2 sides of the paper to create the patter you see.   You will also need to lay your 2 open ends of ribbon over the top half of the ball as you pin towards the top.  The paper and pins holds the ribbon secure. 

On the site that I saw, they used flathead pins to secure the triangles in place but I didn't have any when I decided to give it a try so I used a bunch of fancy pins (in multi colours the first time, then swapped them out for all red ones for these photos.)  I kinda liked the dimention the pins added to the over all look - what do you think?




I bought the styrofoam balls, 8 for a $1.00 at the dollar store and the red fancy pins 100/pkg for $3.50 at Walmart.  I plan to try more of these with the various scraps of DS paper that I have left over from other projects, I can't wait to add them to my tree this year or gift them to friends and family!

Hope you give it  a try and email me with a picture of what yours looks like!

More to come ....






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails