Thursday, November 12, 2009

Deck the Halls ... The How To Part

Well, now I've done it!  I started off with Stampin' Up! Designer Series paper in my original "Deck The Halls ..." post and then I got a comment on how you can also make them with ribbon!! Oh boy!



The Supplies You'll Need!!

So, here is what you will need to complete this project.  Styrofoam ball(s), flat head pins, ribbon (I am using 5/8" wide grosgrain ribbon and 1/4" satin ribbon for the loop to hang it from the tree with), scissors and I highly recommend a thimble as those pins will make your finger tender after a while (especially if you try to make 2 within 24 hours without a thimble!!)



Step 1: Making Your Triangles

When you get started, if the end of your ribbon is not already squared off, snip a straight cut across the end to make it so.  Then fold one corner across to the opposite edge, then flip it so you are pinching the folded edge.  Then, on the same side as the first fold, bring the excess ribbon down.  Again, flip it so that you can pinch the tip (pressing the folded edges firmly) while you snip the excess ribbon straight across the bottom, leaving a nice equilateral triangle.

** Note:  If you want to try this with paper, the steps are the same, but you will have to cut your paper into 1"x2" strips, then fold as above and continue with the steps outlined below.


 Step 2: Covering the Bottom

Once you have snipped your new triangle free from the remaining ribbon, take a pin and put it into the point of the triangle and  pin it to the center of the bottom of the styrofoam ball.  Pin each corner in place and line up the other three triangles (repeat step 1 to make all the triangles you need).  The four points into the middle will make a nice neat square when you're done this step.

 
Step 3: Starting the Next Row

Turn the square to a diamond so that the corner points up.  Lay your next triangle with the point to the center and the long edge cutting across the point of the diamond.  Only pin the 2 corners and not the center point for the rest of the rows going forward. Try to keep your triangles centered on the seam of the triangle beneath.



Step 4: More Rows & Adding the Loop at the Top

Continue adding rows, over lapping the previous seams with the point of the new triangle and pinning the corners outside the center of the triangle beneath.  Before you have added to many rows, you'll want to add a piece of ribbon, folded in half with the edges hanging halfway down the ball.  I've added a pin at the center top of the ball as well to help secure this in place until the rest of the rows are in place.  Keep adding rows until your work your way to the top.

Ooops!  I ran out of blue ribbon with only 4 rows to go!  No problem.  I just switched to the same size ribbon, in green!!  It sort of looks like a blue strawberry now, instead of a pine cone but that's ok.  I like it anyway!  Bet it will look even cooler if you alternated 2 or more colours of ribbon with each new row??!!  Oh man!  I am gonna have to buy a thimble!! *laugh*
         


As you can see, you will have to over lap and close the gap and might only have room for 2 final triangles to finish off the top.  At this point you can garnish your ornament however you like.  Add a bow, some bells or some fancy pins.  I like the look of the fancy red shiney ball pins  for the base, kinda looks like berries.



And 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 you are all done!  I tell you again, if you plan to make more than 1 or 2 of these, I highly recommend a thimble to help push those pins in!



  


Now it's your turn!  I want to see what you come up with - send me a picture or send me a note to let me know how you did!


Have Fun!


e


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where can I get a hunk of a man like that to install shelves in my place, lol. Thanks for posting those instructions for the ribbon Christmas balls. Now to find the time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails