Saturday, June 12, 2010

More Punch Art ... Hula Girl





In my Stamping Group this week, one of my fellow demo's asked about the recipe for a Hula Girl made with punches.  Another demo, inspired by the query - whipped out her punches and created the recipe and then posted it on her blog here.  I was inspired but I did not have all the same punches so had to improvise...

If you punch the 1" circle punch first - for her face, then the 11/4" (discard this ring) and then the 13/4" to get the larger ring used for the arms.  Then punch out her body with the Round Tab, using the 13/4" to trim away the curly cue (not very waist like).  I also used the small heart from the Heart to Heart punch (2x cut off one lobe of each heart for her feet)


I used the 11/4" circle punch to create her hair.  I used the 5 Petal Flower punch to create her bangs (just using 2 points of the flower).  The first time I did this in 2 pieces, the second time, I just punched the bangs from the 1 piece and tucked her face over lapping the punched part.

The grass skirt is the 13/4" circle punch again, using the small oval punch to nip away the part for the waist.  Using the paper snips, cut up from the bottom leaving about a 1/4" inch to make the grass part of the skirt.





It's already starting to look like a hula girl and it's not even assembled yet!  I used the Itty Bitty Shapes punches to make the flowers and greenery.  The centers of the flowers were punched during another project with the large hole on the Crop-a-Dile!  These parts will embelish the waist line of the skirt, accent her hair and create the garland around her neck.










 Now, line up the waist of your skirt along one flair of the torso.  I used the 2-way glue to assemble all the pieces.  First gluing the skirt to the torso then the

4 little green bits to the skirt.  You don't really need these, but it adds a little je ne say qua to the whole thing.  You will have to attach the feet to the background, once your hula girl is assembled and put in place.







Next, you will have to line up your "arms", the large 13/4" circle you pre-cut earlier.  Line it up on the back of your torso and trim off any excess "shoulder" material before you assemble the head and put it in place.

I didn't take any pictures of  this part, but you will see the finished assembly in the final picture.  I glued one of the little left over hearts from the using my Pinking Heart Boarder punch makes a perfect little cupie mouth.




The bangs cut out with the 5 Petal Flower punch (or you can use 1/2 of a 1" circle in the same hair colour CS) layered over the 1" face circle, with the little heart mouth, glue them all together and then using the bottom edge of the hair to attach the head to the torso.  Also, assemble all the little flowers with their centers and greenery accents and glue them to hide the edges of the shoulders in a garland fashion.

Now you are ready to place your hula girl on whatever you like, scrapbook page, card or to embellish a gift.





I put my girl in a tropical scene on a card front with a hand cut palm tree, some lovely hand torn sand and a couple of coconuts!


This little gal would also look wonderful with touches from the new Tropical Party stamps set, available in the Summer Mini (page 26).  Here are some shots of how I assembled my card and the final product.







*Chuckle* the second one (on the left) is a little taller and thinner then the first one I made (on the right).  Summer fun!  Give it a try!

Reminder: I am sending in an order on June 18th!  Email me today with your order and win a chance to be the mystery Hostess, free stamp set or $20.00 in free product!  Also, let me know if you are ordering a 2010-2011 catelogue!  They will be comming out July 1st, 2010!!  Are you excited yet?  I am!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails